Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Hair's to you!

There used to be a common belief that "women of a certain age" had to wear short hair because long hair was for the young.  Happily, that belief has been overruled by many women who love to have some length and the options that longer hair provides.


Andi McDowell
Susan Sarandon

Goldie Hawn

I do love short pixie styles and wore one for many years but have decided to let my hair grow out while it is healthy and I have the time and energy to mess with styling it.  So for now, I have a bob.


 Halle Berry


Sharon Stone


Dame Judy Dench

The only very important guideline is NO HELMET HAIR!  Hair styles need to be free to move, be touchable, fun and modern.  I must admit that I have used hair spray since I learned to tease my hair when I was fourteen and sprayed it with Adorn Hairspray (it even came with a little tease brush).  And, pathetically, I still use hairspray - but I'm trying to wean myself from it.  I think it is just habit now because wearing a bob-style should be swingy and fun.

 Once upon a time, women "of a certain age" used to wear their hair up or short, permed tightly and sprayed solid (hence the phrase, "Helmet Hair").

Betty White when she was "a certain age" - now she's a goddess with movable hair.
.  

Frances Bavier (whose hairstyle helped her to look much older than she really was).

But thankfully, hair "rules" have changed and we are no longer limited -we have so many stylish options and can wear our hair whichever way we choose.  So go ahead and change your "do" -- try something new.  Let a salon you trust take you where you have been afraid to go.  And remember that hair products can make or break a good style.  I must admit I have nine different shampoos in my shower and six different conditioners, four different mousses, three different styling pastes, two dry shampoos and two bottles of spray-on oils.  That's because I like to try new hair products, see which works best and can never really bring myself to throw out what I don't like...just in case!

I encourage you to take the leap.  Whether you color, cut, perm, or blow dry, your hair is another accessory to your fashionable look.  And as long as it keeps growing, you can try and try again!

I love this quote and feel that it reflects what I'm trying to say even better....
“She was the most beautiful creature on Earth - her hair said so in that language only hair can speak.”
Gabriel Bá, Daytripper

Until next Sunday,

Stylistically yours,


Sooz

1 comment:

  1. Your blog ALWAYS brightens my day and am glad I'm not alone in "hoarding" the various hair products that either didn't work out or may potentially work out in the future!

    ReplyDelete