Sunday, May 26, 2013

Just nail it!

For the longest time, in my teens, I was (yes, here I make a true confession.....) a nail biter.  I was ashamed of how bad they looked but in my moments of not paying attention, I would chew off my finger nails (and once, my toes!).  Getting engaged ended that -- vanity did make me want to show off my ring in the best way.  And I'm so glad I did because I love getting my nails and toes pretty now.

In every single magazine I subscribe to, there are articles, ads and tips on manicures, pedicures and trends.  It is always fun to read about the latest trends in nail polish, nail shapes, finishes, designs and types.  But it can be a bit overwhelming.



I am not going to tell you what a "woman of a certain age" should do or not do about her nails. That's waaaay too personal.

I am, however, going to pull much of it together in this post, for your consideration.

The basic colors are amazing.  From natural, to French, to white, to reds, to blacks -- the choices are HUGE.  I can tell you the matching-of-your-fingers-to-your-toes isn't really on trend anymore.  In fact, your manicure can be of different colors per finger! Same with your toes.  Now that it's summer, give it a shot!

   

And applying glittery polish, rhinestones, pearls, polka dots, bows, stripes and an assortment of designs is de rigour.  Why not?

  

Gel versus polish?  Try them each, as those are options, as are acrylics, nail tape and press ons.  I tried acrylics but they made me uncomfortable and looked funny on my short fingers.  And I took them off myself -- I do NOT recommend doing that; I could feel the wind through my nails for a long time. 

Keep in mind what your plans are before you invest in some fancy nails.  You don't want to get a great beautiful manicure or applications to your nails and then go garden.  But a special occasion can be a great reason to go all out on the fancy fingers and toes.

 


And the nail polish brands?  Everyone should have a variety of colors, which makes investing in Dior or Chanel polish for each color an expensive hobby.  Buy some drugstore brands and buy the high end for your staple colors.  Is there really a difference?  I had a bottle of Chanel's Vamp and took it to the nail salon. The manicurist was in awe at the quality of the brush, the way the polish flowed on and its resilience.  So, based on that, I'd say yes.  But I also have 99 cent polish that is good, fun colored and easy to remove.

As we get older, our nails get softer and bendy.  I recommend Biotin.  It is great for your nails, your hair and your skin.  You can buy it anywhere (Wal-Mart, Target, drugstores, GNC) and it really works!  My nails are harder, grow faster as does my hair.  Haven't noticed if it has improved my skin but nothing bad has happened, so I'm good!

If you want design ideas, I strongly encourage you to visit Pinterest's board on "Hair and Beauty" - it is chock full of cute ideas.  If you can't do it, pin it and show it to your manicurist (you will pay extra but if it makes you happy, it is so worth it).

Take care of your nails, they are a symptom of your health, your well being and how you feel about yourself. Here is a quote from a book that "nails it":

“You can tell a lot from a person's nails. When a life starts to unravel, they're among the first to go.”
Ian McEwan, Saturday

Until next Sunday,

Stylistically yours,


Sooz

No comments:

Post a Comment