Sunday, June 15, 2014

Getting to the Root of the Matter!

I am in the throes of a dilemma that most women "of a certain age" face eventually...whether to quit coloring my hair or not. I buy hair color a couple of times a year and a root touch-up product every month. It is becoming more often than I like. It isn't the money but it sure takes a time commitment to do.

The dilemma is what color would my hair be? The roots look white-ish but in the back of my head, more grey-ish. And since I'm not one of those beautiful young-looking women with the tight skin on the jaw and neck, with prominent cheekbones, I don't want to look like a "granny," if you know what I mean.



My natural hair color has always been blonde, but not unlike the late Shirley Temple Black, my hair started getting darker in my older age.



In my teens, there was a great hair lightening  kit called "Summer Blonde" and I loved using it to try to look like a beach babe (it never worked, by the way). Beach babes were not lily white-skinned and actually went to the beach daily.


In my dilemma consideration, I have looked through my many magazines I get, scoured the internet and even looked at other women on the street (I'm temping this week), to see what others are doing.

I saw one older woman with lavender hair.



Many with cordovan colored hair.


Some with obviously dyed black hair.



And several with really obvious grey roots.


I've Googled how to let your grey roots grow out and here's what I learned:

  • Paint highlights of grey through your hair to lessen the obviousness
  • Cut your hair short and keep trimming as your roots grow out.
  • Wear a hat -- a lot!
Today I bought another box of blonde root touch-up, because I'm not sure about going all-over grey. How many of you have given this a consideration and what are you doing about it?

There are a myriad of bright colors to choose from, if you are daring.

Interestingly, one cannot find grey hair color in the drug stores. Although it is a popular color for young people, they're getting it done in salons. That may be my next adventure.  


Til next week, I remain (blonde) and 

Stylistically yours,

Sooz




1 comment:

  1. I'm going back to blond highlights. I don't want to go to my natural hair color, which is "mouse" with gray. Not pretty. Plus, my fine hair is easier to manage when it's damaged a little by the hair color. In my family, you tend to speed through the gray hair phase and end up pretty white hair. I'm not ready for that, so for as long as possible, I'm highlighting.

    ReplyDelete