Sunday, March 30, 2014

A Sucker Born Every Minute!

Do you, like me, think that if you buy something that looks really great on the magazine model/store mannequin, it will transform you?

Do you, like me, want to have that name brand item so others will know that's what you are due?

Do you, like me, love compliments from people...even strangers?
this is so me!

Do you, like me, find validation through the status's symbols, compliments, and covetness displayed by your purchase?
Hahahaha

Notice that I stated each time...like me?


Because I am a sucker when it comes down to it.  I still believe in makeup's ability to transform; perfume's ability to transcend; clothes' ability to create and shoes' ability to state.

That is why we need guidelines to keep us in check; to ensure that we are realistic about what we actually look like and how to enhance the way we look.

And I don't know why but I look at myself when I'm out and about, in window reflections, mirrors in dressing rooms or ladies' rooms and I never look quite as good as I do in my home mirrors. Perhaps it is lighting, perhaps it is more relaxing to be home and it shows in my reflection. But when I look at the full length mirror, Oh. My. Gawd!
So wearing the right clothes, in the best combinations with the appropriate shoes helps a lot.

Another trick is to take your picture and look at that. Because we are used to how we look reflected back to ourselves, a photograph shows you in a different-than-you-are-used-to appearance. And often, we don't like what we see.

Color, fit, length, and style make up the best you.  If you don't have a good full length mirror, go buy one right away.  And look at it before you bring it home - some of them are not flattering and others make you look thinner than you are (I LOVE those mirrors but I need reality).

And now that Spring has sprung, it is the perfect time to clean out your closet(s).  If you haven't worn a piece in over two years, give it to someone who will. If you are saving it until you lose weight, give it to someone who can wear it now and when you do lose the weight, buy something current and stylish. If you've saved some "fat" clothes for those just-in-case times, get rid of them - you're only setting yourself up to fail.

And, if you're like me, you need to lose a few pounds before swimsuit season (I need to lose more than a few!!!), do what you need to do to get back to your fighting weight. Although there are tons of pills, creams, capsules and foods that are supposed to help you lose weight fast, you need to remember, you didn't gain it over night so you won't lose it over night.

If you're like me, these are issues for weight loss that we all know work:

  • Portion control. Eat enough to feel full but not stuffed. Remember that there are people who don't ever get a big meal, so you should eat appropriately to honor them.
  • Vegetables and fruit (not all fruit, however) should be three parts of your meal, a very small carb is fourth and a protein is the fifth. It is a challenge if you're "on the run," so plan accordingly.
  • MOVE IT! If you don't belong to a gym or fitness program, take a hike. I just read that women "of a certain age" should walk a minimum of 30 minutes a day to stave off a stroke.  I also read that we should stomp the ground four times per leg, per day, to strengthen hip bones, thigh bones and knees (stomp like you're crushing a can).  Lift weights to keep your bones strong. 
  • Drink your water. As women get older, they tend to get UTIs. That is our own fault; we don't drink enough water (coffee and/or tea do not count) AND we "hold it" to get through some errand, task or TV show. Don't hold it! GO!
These are reminders...we already know these things. We just have to corral our discipline and do them. 

It is said that if you tell others that you are committing to something, they will help hold you accountable. So I am telling you that I am going to lose 35 pounds. That is no small task because I LOVE Nutella, brie, Real Coke and ice cream. But I am doing this and I'm committing it to you, my friends. Help keep me on track!
Indeed.          And we don't --

so here we go!

Until next week, I remain,

Stylistically yours,

Sooz

2 comments:

  1. you go, girl - you can do it, i know you can!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you alll the way!! Excellent blogs!!
    Dooper

    ReplyDelete