Sunday, January 12, 2014

"One Day You're In, the Next Day You're Out!" (quoting Heidi Klum)

Recently I read about more trends that are no longer "in" --- I doubt any woman of substance would be wearing these trends but felt compelled to share this list with you, just in case.


1.  High-low skirts are no longer stylish.  I only once saw a young woman wearing one who looked adorable in it.  She was 16.  So, if you have one, hem the long part and keep on wearing it.


2.  Crop tops are out.  I admit I wore them when I was young and when my pelvic bone stood out further than my stomach...but that was a while ago.  Just don't!   At all! This is a very young girl's style...and it is now no longer stylish for them, either.


3.  Leather pants.  I can't think of these without thinking of Ross Geller on "Friends" sweating so much in his new leather pants and putting powder and lotion on to make them more comfy and becoming a gooey mess with his leather pants around his knees.  That should be a warning. And now they're out.


4.  Wedge sneakers.  I have never understood why anyone would take a really comfy shoe and make it less so.  But no worries, they're out.


5.  Printed denim pants.  I'm not sure I agree that these are no longer "in" but it is a fact. So think very carefully before you buy a pair.


With those old trends (and the ones I listed in an earlier post), go shopping for new Spring wear.  And to make your shopping trip even more affordable, I am sharing this list with you.

I have enjoyed one of the many benefits of being a woman "of a certain age" by shopping at specific stores on specific days to obtain their discounts for those of us who are the age of 50+. So I wanted to share this benefit with you, dear friends.  I cannot attest to all of these but can confirm that Ross, TJ Maxx and Bealls are indeed valid.  It never hurts to ask the cashier.


But let me warn you of one drawback:  They might not ask for identification to prove you are old enough to get the discount.  That means one of two things:  you look old enough to make it unnecessary; or the cashier doesn't care.  Let's pretend it is the second reason so there are no hurt feelings! 


Retail and Clothing Discounts

  • Banana Republic: 10% off (50+)
  • Bealls: 15% off every Tuesday (50+)
  • Bed Bath and Beyond: 10% off mailing club (55+)
  • Belk: 15% off first Tuesday of every month (55+)
  • Bon-Ton Department Stores: 15% off on senior discount days with a BonTon credit card. (55+)
  • C.J. Banks: 10% off every Wednesday (60+)
  • Clarks: 10% off (62+)
  • Dress Barn: 10% off (55+) (varies by location)
  • Goodwill: 10% off one day a week (date varies by location)
  • Hallmark: 10% off one day a week (date varies by location)
  • Hancock Fabrics: 15% off on the 1st and 3rd Wednesdays of the month. (55+) In-store only.
  • Kohl’s: 15% off  (60+) on Wednesdays
  • Lens Crafters: 30% off for AARP members
  • Michael’s: 10% off on Tuesdays with AARP card
  • Modell’s Sporting Goods: 10% off
  • Rite Aid: 20% off on the first Wednesday of the month for wellness+ members (65+)
  • Ross Stores: 10% off every Tuesday (55+)
  • Tanger Outlets: Free coupon book for AARP members
  • The Salvation Army Thrift Stores: up to 50% off (55+)
  • TJ Maxx: 10% on Tuesdays, varies by location. (Orlando is Mondays, not Tuesdays)
  • Stein Mart: 20% off red dot/clearance items first Monday of every month (55+)
  • Walgreens: “Senior Day” once a month. (Balance Rewards members 55+ and all AARP members). Day of the month varies by location. Discount is 20% off Walgreen brands and 15% of most everything else.
Read more: http://www.bradsdeals.com/blog/senior-discounts/#ixzz2qCSlX4Vk

If you know of other discounts for us, please share it and I'll pass it on.

In the meantime, keep this quote in mind...
You don't need to follow trends to be stylish.     Naomie Harris (super model)

Until next week, I remain,

Stylistically yours,

Sooz


1 comment: