Monday, January 20, 2014

But Baby It's Cold Outside!

Even here in Florida, it has been chilly with more cool weather to come.  And we need to dress comfortably and warmly for weather in the `40s, which makes today's post kinda necessary.

With that in mind, let's review some do's and don'ts for dressing to keep warm.


  • Absolutely do not, ever, wear warm up wear.  I went to an outdoor event last week with a LOT of very elderly women and men.  I made my husband promise to kill me if he ever saw me dressed in velour track suits.  I saw so many of them that it really made me sad. Interestingly enough, no one ever wears them to work out in the gym.  I'm not sure what purpose these odd pieces serve.

There were some great old cracked leather jackets that made me very happy - they looked like they could have flown in them with Amelia Earhart.  

  • Do wear layers of smart clothes.  I love Target's $12 sweat pants for women (sometimes they go on sale for really cheap).  They don't have elastic at the ankle, they're like pants (some even have pockets).  I have three pair of black ones and they are fleece lined, not baggy and look great tucked into a pair of riding boots.

Don't wear the ones with elastic ankles unless you are just hanging around the house. They don't flatter you and make you look sloppy and dumpy.

  • For the top of your warm outfit:
I like to start with a long sleeved tee shirt. It is the perfect foundation to layer with.  You can wear a shirt or sweater over or under it.  


Then a sweater, jacket, neck scarf wrap and you are warm and toasty.  

Layering is important because you might go into a place that is heated too warm and you can strip off a few layers to be comfortable but layer up to go back out.

  • Don't wear flip flops or sandals with socks.  I'm serious. I have seen too many young people who think that's cool.  It so is not.  

If you have great high heeled sandals and cute socks...and you're a twenty year old, this is cute. But it isn't for us.



  • You can wear a variety of scarves to keep the chill off your neck. And if you knit or crochet, make yourself many different ones.


  • Socks are so wonderful for keeping your feet warm.  Enjoy wearing them with boots, sneakers, loafers or flats!


  • Cardigans are a great purchase for layering and you should own several colors to brighten your day.

  • Hats are fun but be careful what type you wear. Anything with a brim could become airborne on a windy day.

  • And keep your fragrance very soft. In heated rooms and under your warm clothes, you could become overpowering in your fragrance, even causing a headache for others. Think light, airy and clean.
  • Gloves are great for keeping the chill from your fingers.  I have several pair (leather, knit, even driving gloves) for walking the dog because holding the leash makes my fingers cold in the wind.

  • Moisturize your face and lips often.  Chapped skin hurts and your lips can crack in wind.
  • You should still wear sunglasses in cold weather.  Protect your eyes from wind and the sun.

We can live comfortably in any weather if we dress appropriately.  Keep snug, warm and healthy.

Until next week, I remain,

Stylistically yours,

Sooz



No comments:

Post a Comment