Sunday, October 20, 2013

Wearing a uniform... of sorts

Do you have a uniform?

Most of us have nice wardrobes with a variety of clothes to wear for various occasions, seasons and activities, however, I find that we each have a uniform of sorts that we resort to over and over again



There was a woman where I worked many years ago and she was known for always wearing black. She even wrote an article about being "the woman in black."  I, too, wear A LOT of black. Suits, dresses, tops, skirts, pants, and even my winter coat.  I like black because it can take me anywhere, at any time...and I think it makes my butt look smaller. Seriously!

Steve Jobs only wore black mock-neck tops with his faded jeans -- every day.  Michael Kors has a large variety of black tops that he wears with his black slacks. Johnny Cash is known as The Man In Black. Our judges wear black robes in the courtroom. And many comedians only wear black on stage (Richard Belzer, Richard Lewis, Lewis Black).  Notice they're all men?  Well, women do have a lot of options with prints, colors and style. But I find black to be a common staple in all wardrobes.

If you go to major cities around the world, you'll find black attire is common.  Not in a "goth" way but professionally, informally and, of course, formally as well.


When I was in London, England, in my black skirts and jackets, I looked like everyone else walking along the busy streets during the weekday. And in Paris, my black skirts with white shirts made me look just like the other Parisians during their workaday walking around, subway rides and bus jaunts. Of course, New York City women wear black to work and out after.  In all these cities, you will also see color pops but many colorful wear is done by tourists, not the people who live there.



Black doesn't show dirt as easily. It is easy to dress up or down. It is simple to accessorize and it serves as a background for sales teams (it doesn't distract from the product) to wear.

I prefer black yoga wear to colors because it doesn't show my lumps and pumps in lycra wear as much.

And though I had a lot of lovely colored suits, my most frequently worn ones were....yes, black.



This year, I have broken out of the black wear a bit and bought some stripes, two red Calvin Klein dresses, and (gasp!) a lime green dress. But in a pinch, you'll still see me in black the most often.



I like to accessorize my black with leopard print in shoes, sweaters, jackets and tops, or stripes, or prints. But black is my uniform of choice.



So now I'm asking, what is your uniform?  And why?

I so get this quote that is uncredited to anyone:

 I'm only wearing black until they make something darker.

Until next week, I remain,

Stylistically yours,


Sooz

2 comments: