Sunday, July 14, 2013

When the "yoyo" is not fun!

I'm not writing about the toy (which was a popular toy in Greece in 500 B.C., just for your knowledge).  I am writing about that up and down of weight loss.

It seems as I get older, my weight does pile on faster and doesn't want to go away easily.  I do nurture it, I feed it well and often, and my activity level has certainly diminished greatly. But I refuse to let my age be an excuse.

So I bought a great weight loss tool:  a Fitbit Zip for $59.95 (mine is black).  Here's the scoop:
 
 

Zip™ Wireless
Activity Tracker

  • Tracks steps, distance and calories burned.
  • Wirelessly syncs to computers and select smartphones.
  • Replaceable battery, lasts 4-6-months.
  • Sweat, rain, and splash-proof.
  • Includes clip, wireless sync dongle, battery
    tool and battery


There are other, more expensive Fitbits, depending on what you want to accomplish. The Flex is a Wireless Activity & Sleep Wristband for $99.95;




the One is a clip on (like the Zip above) that is a Wireless Activity & Sleep Tracker for $99.95. 

There is even a scale, the Aria WiFi Smart Scale ($129.95) that syncs to your system to keep track of your weight loss, body mass index, and percentage of body fat, as well as charts your progress with graphs on your computer and tablet or phone and recognizes up to eight users.


 
 
There are also Jawbone systems (similar)

UP by Jawbone - Blue

 and Garmin systems (many of these come with direction feeds like you use in your car).

Forerunner® 10

These are amazing tools that help you take control of your movement, your caloric intake, your remaining calories available until day's end and there are even communities where you can share tips, issues, and make new friends who have the same goals. They track your movements and work with your computer.  It is so high tech and so simple. 
 
But here's the hard part....you absolutely HAVE to actively use it.  You have to walk...a lot.  When you first buy it and set it up, you set your goals (but you can always adjust it).  Easy peasy.
 
Now comes the work....my goal is to lose weight reasonably quick, so I'm to walk 10,000 steps a day. I also have a caloric limit and as I eat, I log my food into my tablet (it's easier than turning on my computer after a snack, etc.).  It all goes into my Fitbit Log, as well as my water intake and any additional activities I do (gardening, yoga, laundry and making the bed).  If you bike ride or swim, those also count as activities to be logged.  It all adds up to calories burned versus calories you take in.
 
well, there's a thought
 
The basic tenets of successful weight loss is eat less and the other is move more.  That's really it.  Anything else is "spin" to make money for the author of that concept.  Of course, you have to choose the right things to eat, make yourself drink a lot of water and not sodas, sweet teas, etc. and you have to feel good enough to be able to move more.  But if you are like me, healthy but "fluffy" - there is no good excuse.  As Nike's slogan states:  Just Do It!

Stop eating garbage and get off your bum!
 

You don't need to be a runner, you don't need to join a gym, you don't need special equipment or clothes (much to my chagrin).  You just need to walk, track your food and water and watch the results. 
 
Need to remember this


So where does "fashion" fit into today's post, you ask?  Everything looks better on a fit, healthy body (actually everything looks better as a Size 2 or 4, but that's not a reasonable goal for me).  And one feels better about herself if she's not uncomfortable with how she looks in her clothes.

It is July and is so hot and humid right now and our regular monsoon season is back, so you never know when a rainstorm will hit.  But there are treadmills at the gym, early mornings or late evenings when it is cooler to take a hike, air conditioned malls that encourage walkers, as well as many fun computer activities to make you move on Wii or XBox systems.

My favorite "truth" is: 
Sweat is fat crying

So make that fat sob crocodile tears! Whining isn't an option. You can do it and now there are great tools and friends who can and will help you!

Until next week, I remain,

Stylistically yours,


Sooz
 
 
 
 

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for this, Sooz! You're so right. We have to move more, stop eating after 8 pm and both will result in better sleep, which is so important. We'll look younger!

    ReplyDelete
  2. just read all your july postings... fun tips and, of course, your witty comments throughout... thanks for being stylish AND inspirational! :D

    ReplyDelete