Sunday, July 7, 2013

Maybe this is THE ONE!

I just spent the past three hours cleaning out my "stash" and threw away three bags full.  No, I'm not talking about drugs or paraphernalia - I'm talking about hair products.

I buy a huge variety of hair products because, like every woman, I think that maybe this is the the one that will make my hair better/prettier/ fuller/ voluminous/ shinier/ manageable/ whatever.  If you walked into my bathroom (yes, I have my own separate from my husband's) and counted the shampoos, conditioners, treatment masks, finishers, balms and rinses, you'd be shocked.  Especially because my hair never really looks any different. But I persevere!

And next to my vanity in the bedroom, I have mousses, gels, volume sprays, root boosters, shining oils and finishing sprays. I am the perfect consumer that advertisers target to sell to.  It is ridiculous at how many products I have and I won't even begin to guess how much money this all cost.

I will, however, tell you about some products that I've discovered to be wonderful for "women of a certain age" and our hair.

1.  EverCreme Cleansing Conditioner by L'Oreal is pretty awesome.  For all dry hair types, it is sulfate-free, with no hard salts, triple action hydration and natural botanicals.  Because it is a conditioner that cleans your hair, it's two in one and leaves your hair clean, smooth and shiny.  You can find it at any drugstore or at Ulta.  But I don't get a lot of volume and I like my hair better when it is a bit bigger. I'm a Southern gal.
EverCrème Sulfate-Free Moisture System™ Cleansing Conditioner - Treatments - L'Oreal Paris

2.  Pantene Expert's Age Defy Shampoo and Conditioner (the one Courtney Cox advertises in print ads).  Very nice lather, creamy conditioner and I like that it fights seven aging hair issues:  breakage, split ends, frizz, unruly grays, lackluster color, thin look and dryness.   Again, you can find it at drugstores or grocery stores.  I will keep this in my supply with the conditioner.
Age Defy shampoo


3.  Total Repair 5 by L'Oreal Shampoo and their Balm (the one that Lea Michele advertises in print ads) that treats five hair issues:  rebuilds fibers, strength, vitality, silkiness, shine.
L'Oreal Advanced Haircare Total Repair 5 Restoring ShampooL'Oreal Advanced Haircare Total Repair 5 Damage Erasing Balm

I just purchased these two items because I had gotten a sample with my Sunday paper, tried it and liked how it did exactly what I hoped it would do.

4.  Mousses and gels:  I used cheap stuff. I have invested in pricey mousses and root lifters but I didn't see any difference. The cheap gel at my roots then blow drying with a big round brush is perfect for my hair.

5.  Hairsprays:  I still use a little but mostly as a bad habit I am trying to break.  Don't use a lot, if you must.

6.  Pastes, piecy cremes, and spiking gels:  I've tried so many and have been unhappy with every single one.  My favorite product to create that separation and piecy look I want at the ends of my hair is....drum roll, please.....Smith's Rosebud Salve.
Rosebud Perfume Co. - Rosebud Salve
I only find it in Sephora stores or online. It's cheap, long lasting, wonderful smelling, great for your lips, hands, skin and wonderful (used in small amounts) on your hair.  It washes out easily and can make your hair shine and separate beautifully.

7.  Clips and bands:  I found that the best way to get volume (not using hot rollers or curling irons) after I finish blow drying my hair is to grab it all and clip it up on the top of my head.
Open Wedge Shape Black ClampI keep this on until just before I leave the house and get great volume.



I cannot guarantee that I won't be suckered to try a new miracle product that will make my hair better. But I can tell you that the above products work for me and if you're looking for something to help your hair goals, you might want to give them a try.

I use an ionic blow dryer by Revlon that I got at WalMart, a flat iron with automatic shutoff (I need that because I've left it on too many times) that I bought at Ulta (with a coupon) and I take Biotin to strengthen my nails and hair and help my skin stay elastic. There are several straw hats by the door for when I walk the dog in the sunlight and a Solumbra hat in tan that I got on sale at Marshall's ($15! - such a steal).
46560I hate to admit that I have some wiry grey hairs at my temples.  If my whole head becomes like them, it'll be a new approach to hair care for me (my hair has always been stick straight).  So yes, I color it.  This is my favorite because it is two steps and provides me highlights on top of the base color, looking much more like my hair does. It does get lighter over time but that's okay. I still have the high and low lights that I seek.

And let's talk for a minute about hair styles.  If you know me, you know that I've worn my hair in a pixie cut for many years.  Mostly because it was easy and I am lazy.  But I've decided to let my hair grow out a bit before it becomes wiry and grey all over.  So I'm wearing a bob.  For now.  I have had long hair, permed hair and still don't know what my next hair goal will be.  Once I got a perm on bleached blonde summer hair and burned my hair off (not a look I was going for).  There are so many cute styles out there - and remember, it's only hair.  Try them, if you are so inclined.  Be a new you, if that's what you seek.  It's fun to experiment, if you are daring.  If not, change your part.  Wear it up.  Try it down  Get it texturized.  Have it straightened or get it curled. 

I agree with Hillary Clinton when she said:  I'm undaunted in my quest to amuse myself by constantly changing my hair.  

Until next week, I remain,

Stylistically yours,


Sooz


No comments:

Post a Comment