Sunday, March 17, 2013

Trends that work for us, too!

I am happy to say that there are trends in fashion that we "women of a certain age" can take from the youth wave and transfer to our closets and be fashionable, stylish and appropriate.

From pencil skirts, sequins, cute cardigans, fun jewelry, and even platform shoes, these trends can be adopted and adapted for us to wear for fun and keep us up-to-date.

Today I received a catalog for a national chain store in my Sunday newspaper; it is very clear that the clothing they are advertising is for teenagers or twenty year olds. The models are kids with clear skin, long shiny hair and no hips. I don't know about you but I haven't looked like that in a million years.

Many fashions are for the young for a valid reason - they spend their money frivolously and for the moment. We women want to buy inexpensive stylish clothes that are timeless, fashionable and look great.

I like to hunt for my pieces at various discount stores such as Stein Mart, TJ Maxx, Ross, and Marshalls.  I don't want to spend a ton of money on good looking clothes that are based on trends. An example of a new trend are peplums which are huge this season.  (And they hide a myriad of sins!) 

Spring 2013 Fashion Trends - just bought this in black!

I bought this peplum top in black for $16 at TJ Maxx and plan to wear it a lot.  Pencil skirts, capris, and straight leg jeans will set this off well. Add a statement necklace like the one below that I bought at Stein Mart for $29 and you're good to go!


Just remember that trends are temporary. If you're on a budget, you can be stylish and still have dollars for going to a play or lunch with friends or a road trip.

We know what looks good on our bodies and how we feel when we look good. Go shopping, buy with panache and have fun.

I'll be back next Sunday!  Til then...enjoy this Spring weather and wear sunscreen.

Sooz



No comments:

Post a Comment