Sunday, March 31, 2013

Put your best fashionable foot forward!

Okay, I will confess I am an addict. SHOES!  I love, love, love beautiful shoes. And I come by it honestly...as a child, my bronzed baby shoes sat on top of the television which was the focus of every seated piece of furniture. So you couldn't help but see them all day, every day. Little bronzed baby shoes like a crown on top of the RCA. I still have those little shoes.

And to celebrate today's holiday, Easter, always meant a brand new pair of shiny patent leather Mary Janes (black or white). The new dress was great but what made it such a great holiday was getting new shoes! (Oh, and chocolate)

Later, my father was the manager of a high-end shoe store and frequently brought home the latest style of shoes. I would get a pair and then sew a dress to match the shoes (backwards from how most women put together an outfit).

I learned that Imelda Marcos was a fascinating figure when we found out that she had thousands of shoes. I wondered how is that possible - now I understand.

As "a woman of a certain age," today's shoes present quite a dilemma. I love the huge platforms, the stiletto heel, the fascinating colors and the very pointy toe.  However, there are now some parts of shoe trends that must go by the wayside.

First, high platform shoes...I love the styles but have experienced the pull of gravity to my detriment. I had purchased a pretty pair of high platform sandals and wore them to work, feeling tall and stylish. Until I fell off my shoes and landed hard on my butt. Those shoes have since been given to a younger woman who was thrilled to get them. The additional height from wearing platforms is great but not so much the embarrassment and pain of falling down in front of a very traumatized man and his child.  I hope they can forget what they saw!

 I love stiletto heels! But they were easier to wear when I was younger, I could run in them; now I have accepted that three inches are the perfect limit for me to walk in.

The great news is that the pointy toe and fascinating colors are still wearable for us.  A trick I've learned is to stuff plastic sandwich bags (fold over kind, not zip lock) into the point of the shoe. It keeps the toe from collapsing and gives your foot a nice cushion since your foot is angled down towards the point. Your toe shouldn't be crammed into the point, it is a feature to elongate your legs (and your feet) so they should still be comfortable to wear. 

Neon yellow, lime green, florals (like above), polka dots, stripes and my favorite - leopard, make shoes a beautiful accessory to any outfit. And I love the fact that patterns, colors and prints don't have to match your ensemble. Now you can mix stripes with dots, various florals (never wear matching florals - you'll look aged), and opposite colors. 

For casual attire, a cute sandal, flat or mule should still be comfortable, stylish and fun.



And for walking the dog or exercise (and yes, even grocery store runs) I adore my Skechers Go Walks. I have two pair (black with white trim and gray) and expect I'll be buying more.  I recommend  Go Walks to every woman and found them cheapest at Stein Mart.  Check 'em out!

I have had my share of foot problems: flat feet, four Morton's neuromas (which had to be surgically removed - one grew back!) and a bunionectomy. But my recovery goal has always been to be able to get back into my beautiful shoes. 

We expect a lot from our feet and should take really good care of them. Massage them, get pedicures, moisturize them and dress them perfectly in great feet attire. With the Internet, there are even more options for shoe buying.  Put your best foot forward and dance like no one is watching.

"Cinderella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life."
I'll be back next Sunday.  Til then, walk proud!

Stylistically yours,

Sooz

(High heel shoes can be found on ShoeDazzle; leopard flats can be found on Zappos)

1 comment:

  1. Susie, thanks for the tip about finding the sneakers at Stein Mart. Lovin' your new blog, my friend.

    ReplyDelete