Sunday, April 12, 2015

The Short Story

I just bought my first pair of shorts in over 12 years. I know, I know....I live in Florida where it is hot a lot more than not. So you might want to ask, what the heck have I been wearing all this time in the summer time?

I've worn capri pants. I am a very pale white woman and my legs are pale enough to reflect light. I have used sunless tanning lotions and they work well but now that I'm home a lot more, I don't need that "silk stocking" look anymore.

But I was in Beall's Outlet store and found a nice pair of dark stretch denim Bermuda shorts with pockets for only $8.99. So I bought them. But I am conflicted about wearing them.
Image result for ladies dark denim bermuda shorts


Here's why I haven't worn shorts in a while. My thighs touch. And that means that many shorts, when walking in them, ride up in the inner thigh.

Image result for shorts riding up while walking

Which means I keep having to pull them back down to look decent...a lot of work for a wrinkly bunchy image, when the simple solution is longer pants.

Capri pants don't ride up, bunch up and they usually look attractive even if your thighs touch.
Image result for ladies capri pantsImage result for ladies capri pantsImage result for ladies capri pants

The other dilemma when wearing shorts is the shoes. Yes, you can always wear sneakers, slip ons, ballet flat or sandals but somehow I feel exposed and vulnerable. High heels usually make me feel confident...but I can't wear them with shorts without looking a little trampy. Or feeling that way.

Image result for ladies shorts in high heelsImage result for ladies shorts in high heelsImage result for ladies shorts in high heels

So I'm keeping these one pair of shorts to see how I like them. How I feel when I wear them, how I can accessorize them appropriately, and to determine if I want to buy more or not.

I do love to wear sweaters and light jackets but doesn't that defeat the purpose of staying cool in the Florida heat? I just don't know.
Image result for ladies shorts with jacketsImage result for ladies shorts with jackets

Do you, my friends, wear shorts in public? How many do you own? If not, why not?  I am curious.

I have seen other women "of a certain age" wearing shorts of various fabrics, cuts, lengths and colors. Some look pretty good but others look tired, aged and sloppy. This is a small but weather-related issue and I'm looking for your input.
Image result for quotes on wearing shorts

Please share your thoughts on this short story.  Until two weeks, I remain,

Stylistically yours,


Sooz


2 comments:

  1. Hey Sooz, Since I am 64 years old now I find myself in my capris most often. I feel I can go just about anyplace in them. I enjoy my shorts but normally wear them around my house or when we are camping. I think as long as the shorts are nice looking and longer length it should be fine for our more casual outings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So great to get your feedback! You have confirmed everything I believe to be true. Awesome! Thanks!

      Delete