Sunday, October 5, 2014

Flat Out Comfy!

If you have been following my blog, you know that I LOVE SHOES!

And I'm not picky...pumps, sling back heels, strappy sandals, boots, ballet slipper flats, loafers, sneakers, and oxfords...I love them all.





But I had lunch last week with a long time friend who confessed to me that she doesn't buy heels anymore. She only wears flats, which got me thinking about comfort versus high fashion.

I remember when I was a young professional, wearing my high heels, when a woman asked me how could I walk in them. I bragged that I could even run in them. Ah, hubris! That was then.

This past Tuesday I saw a beautiful young woman in nose-bleed high pumps with a huge built-in platform. She strolled comfortably and with great grace and balance in her gorgeous red heels.
And I almost asked her that same question: How could she walk in them? Especially on a brick street?

And then I had an epiphany. As we get older, we trade the high style (sorry about the pun) for high comfort. I still love to drool over the really high heel, but I am now buying lower heels, wedge heels, kitten heels and have an exceptional collection of flats. 
That's probably for the best. Women "of a certain age" could fall and break a hip wearing really high shoes! And if you can't walk steadily in your shoes, you just look silly.

Fortunately, great style is available in lower heels, flats and other shoes. And your center of gravity is still safe and secure.

If you can walk well in the new super high shoes, more power to you. But if you cannot, don't despair...lower your shoe height and lift your head...and stroll!


Until next week, I remain,

Stylistically yours,

Sooz

2 comments:

  1. Love your blogs. I was wondering if you could recommend any online shopping sites for women of a certain age? Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't buy many clothes, shoes, etc. online because I like to try them on and feel them on me. I have bought from Loft.com; Chadwick.com; Target.com; Amazon.com and EBay.com. But you don't get the "thrill of the hunt"! And thank you for your kind words! It means so much to add value!

    ReplyDelete