Sunday, December 15, 2013

Making Up For Good!

First let me apologize for repeat images in the below. My computer is misbehaving...or I'm a dork and don't know how to fix it.  Okay, let's move on.....

Who doesn't love make up and how it transcends our look/feelings about ourselves?  And who doesn't love getting valuable make up tips?

Here are a variety of tips for women "of a certain age," as well as some helpful tips for any woman who wears make up.

1. I have always had oily skin...as a young woman, I could have lubed a car with the oil my face produced. Okay, maybe not a car, but I was blotting my T-zone a lot.  The T-zone is across the forehead and down the nose and chin.  Plus my cheeks, upper lip and eyelids!  I used blotting paper because trying to absorb the oil with powder only added more powder on my face and eventually a mask-like look.  I was always upset that my face was so oily, until I figured out two important things:


  • Oily skin means less wrinkles later in life.  Dry skin doesn't bounce with resilience and wrinkles tend to settle in easier.  
  • If you use a moisturizer, your skin doesn't need to produce as much oil. I never used moisturizer because I thought I was adding to the problem but it is quite the opposite.  
So use a moisturizer with sunscreen every single day. I love Aveeno's Ultra Calming Daily Moisturizer. I just bought another "bottle" at Walgreens for $16.  It has a low sunscreen, is dense but spreads over your face nicely and doesn't have any fragrance.


2.  Bare Minerals mineral powder make up (or any other powder based make up) is NOT good for women "of a certain age" because it is exactly that.... powder and it loves to sit in lines and wrinkles all over your face.  Even if you don't have a lot of wrinkles, the way powder sits on your face, it will make you look more wrinkled.


So liquid or creme foundation should become your face's best friend.  I have been wearing Revlon's Age Defying Cream Make Up for a couple of years and like it very much. I stopped in at our newest Ulta store and after a test make up experience, bought Calvin Klein's One liquid foundation and like it even more. I think it was $25 or $30 for a fluid ounce.
 


HERE IS A MAKE UP TIP YOU WILL LOVE:  Buy a mid-price foundation brush.  I found Real Techniques' brush for $8 at Ulta.  Pour or squirt a very small amount of moisturizer into your palm. Dip your foundation brush into it and spread it over your face until your face is completely moisturized. Then pour or squirt a small amount of liquid foundation into your hand and using that same brush, spread your makeup over your face. The coverage is amazing, your face will look fresh and perfect even in harsh light, and there is no creasing, patches or blotches.



I shared this with a friend (Susan, you know who you are!) and she emailed me the next day telling me how fabulous this is and how happy she was with her make up look.

And please don't wear a darker color than your face.  It ends up looking like a mask, and it shows at your hair line, your jaw line and is NOT flattering.  Blush, bronzers and lipsticks will brighten your face.



3.  I wanted a new blush because all I had was powder and I think I've made my case about how bad that is for our look now that we are more "experienced" in life.  So I bought Calvin Klein's One creme blush in Peach.  The compact has two colors...a dark peach and a very light one.  After my foundation is on, I brush the darker over the apples of my cheeks, then with the same blush brush, I brush the lighter color on the top of my cheeks' apples.


4.  Then I lightly use a loose powder over the T-zone but NOT around my eyes or my blush area.  Using a finishing brush, I remove any loose powder that is still on my T-zone.

HERE IS ANOTHER GREAT MAKE UP TIP:  Buy a glow for your face.  MAC makeup sells a Strobe Cream for about $30 and Target has ELF All Over Color Stick in Persimmon #302 for $1.  Dab just a bit on top of your cheek apples, spread carefully and DO NOT POWDER.  I have received many compliments on how dewy my face looks.  This is perfect because it distracts from any lines you might have around your eyes.

  

5.  Do not use metallic eyeshadows.  They show creases, wrinkles and lines more than you believe.  Use matte soft colors, blend, blend, blend.   AND DO NOT use eyeliner under your eyes.  If you want to have small eyes and emphasize your crow's feet, then go ahead.  Otherwise, just line your top lid.  If you use a cream or pencil, blend, smudge and soften the liner.



6.  If you don't want people to know that you're getting older, pay close attention to your eyebrows.  Those hairs thin out in old age, get wiry, or become white.  So fill them in with a powder in a lighter color.  DO NOT USE BLACK EVER!  Then after you've brushed on (with a thin angled brush) a light shadow into your brows, use a brow brush to soften them, disperse the color density and clean out the excess.  Then a brow gel (clear or a light color) to set them in place.  '



7.  As we mature, we often have to wear eyeglasses.  Be sure not use too much make up on your eyes because the glass can magnify your eye make up.  You can use subtle color eye shades, muted lid liner and cleanly brushed mascara to emphasis your eyes behind those glasses.  USE A LASH CURLER!  This is always a great tool for opening your eyes and is critical behind glasses.



8.  Some women think concealer is a miracle cream to hide under eye circles and shadows. It is, if blended well and is used under foundation.  If you're not careful, you'll look like you're wearing a mask. Even celebrities make this mistake.



The same is true with contouring.  This is not a skill for amateurs.  Don't try to make stripes of shadows unless you are a tiger -- everyone can see them, even if you can't.



9.  As we get older, we add fat in some areas and lose fat in others. Lips are usually a place that thins out.  So now, lip liner becomes important. Nothing looks as pathetic as lipstick running into those creases around your mouth.  BUT BE SURE TO USE A NUDE LIP LINER!  It is always the last thing to wear off (lipstick will always disappear first) and you don't want a Bozo-The-Clown mouth.  Nude will control the lipstick bleed and won't make you look silly as your lipstick color (no matter what color you wear) fades.



10.  I love Vaseline to remove my eye make up every night.  Just spread a little on the base of your eyelashes after your eye make up is off, and even spread some across your eye brows.  It helps to grow hair!  Give it a couple of months - you'll be so happy with the results.  DON'T SPREAD IT ON YOUR FACE though!  You'll end up with little fine hair all over your face. TRUST ME!

I also love Vaseline's Spray & Go Moisturizer for your arms, legs, chest and neck.  It moisturizes nicely, spreads quickly (it does disappear into your skin) and is non-greasy.  There are different fragrances (all lightweight odors) and you can dress immediately after putting it on.  I bought my cocoa-butter Spray & Go at Target for $3.75.


There is a great blogger who shows videos of make up tips (and she's where I got the moisturizer/foundation blend tip)...she is the professional make up artist who created Real Techniques make up brushes (I bought her Foundation brush at Ulta--above).  To learn tips on job interview make up, contouring tips, Little Black Dress make up tips, Winter glow tips, etc., go to www.realtechniques.com.  She's great, informative and shows step-by-step techniques that anyone can follow.  WARNING! You'll want to rush to Ulta to buy all of her products, because she's so good!

11.  Brighten your teeth to look younger.  As we age, our teeth begin to show all the liquids we have consumed over time.  Coffee, tea, wine and cigarettes have staining effects which make our teeth discolor. Younger teeth haven't consumed that much damage and are whiter. If you can't afford to get your teeth professionally whitened, you can still buy whitening strips you can use at home. And once a month, rinse your mouth with hydrogen peroxide then brush with baking soda.  Your teeth will lighten and your smile will be brighter and younger.



Don't fret over getting older but you certainly don't have to make your age obvious.  Try a couple of my tips and see if you're not happier with your look.  And please let me know.  Good or bad, I'd love to hear from you.

I love and believe in this quote:
You can't help getting older, but you don't have to get old.
George Burns 

Until next week, I remain,

Stylistically yours,

Sooz








No comments:

Post a Comment