Sunday, June 23, 2013

Summer time.... and the dress code is TOO easy

I'm doing temp work in a beautiful office these past two weeks, greeting visitors and answering phones.  My temporary job is downtown, where I park in a public garage, walk along a busy downtown street and see a lot of people coming and going to work.  It has been fun and everyone in the office has been very friendly and kind. 

While I'm downtown, I must say how surprised I am to see what some women think is still appropriate to wear to work - even if it is summer.

Like flip flops!  I am not just talking about leather ones, I'm talking about rubber ones that you can buy at any drugstore.  Remember when those were beach shoes or shower shoes?  But they still are not appropriate for any work environment unless you're a life guard.  And many ladies must not look down at their toes or heels.  Pedicures are not expensive and, at worst, can be done at home.  I love my Old Navy flip flops as well as anyone else but never, ever for an office environment.   Remember the big flap when a group of young women wore them to the White House to meet the President?  (Sigh!)  Just say no and wear a pretty sandal with well groomed feet. 


And baggy capri pants!  And worse, un-ironed!  These pants make you look baggy, saggy and sad. There are so many places you can go (Bealls, Ross, Old Navy, Marshall's, TJ Maxx, Target) and not spend a lot of money to get attractive fitted capris.  Then you look crisp, thinner and that you care about how you look and how the world sees you. And please take a few minutes to run a hot iron over them!
             


Sweat shirts!  Yes it is summer time when it is hot and steamy but some ladies get cold from the air conditioning (wait until menopause, ladies!) and they slip on sweat shirts.  Lordy, Lordy...everyone knows that those are workout wear, not office wear.  When stores sell such cute cardigans, jackets and wraps, why, oh why would you wear a sweat?

 

There are a few ladies who dress really adorably wearing attractive ensembles, cute light jewelry and summery prints and shoes. It shows that not a lot of effort is required to look stylish while it is hot out.



One of the reasons I like to temp is to find new work environments, meet new people and earn some "shoe money."  It is also a great chance for me to dress up, fix my hair and put on a little make up (which I don't do daily when I'm home, gardening, walking in the 90 degree heat with my dog or doing laundry). 

So just look at all the women you see when you're out and about; learn from the ones who look "put together" while looking calm and cool; and smile kindly at those who are dressed very casually or sloppy.  Perhaps their mirrors are broken or they just had to rush out. It can't be cost because I can show that it doesn't cost much to dress well.  It just takes patience and discrimination.  And a good mirror.


          

My tenure at this temp job ends on Tuesday.  Then I go back to my home life and wait to find out where next I might choose to temp.  In the meantime, I'm going shopping for summer wear.Slim cropped print pants!Striped scoop topPolka dot tie-waist shirtdress

As the Beach Boys sang about a female one long ago summer ......
I, I love the colorful clothes she wears
And the way the sunlight plays upon her hair
I hear the sound of a gentle word
On the wind that lifts her perfume through the air


 

Wouldn't you love to inspire someone to say that about you?

Until next Sunday,
I remain stylistically yours,


Sooz


No comments:

Post a Comment