Sunday, June 16, 2013

A backward glance

How often, before you head out to work or on an errand, do you look at yourself from behind?


Having encountered many women while out and about, I'm guessing none of us do it on a regular basis.  "Why bother to do that?" you might ask.  Here's a couple of good reasons:

  • Bumps and bulges and sags...oh, my!  As I write this, I am very aware that the sleeveless tee shirt that I'm wear is showcasing back fat, bra bulge and muffin top.  But I am NOT going out among people looking like this, it's just for Sunday house errands.  Several months ago, on vacation in Savannah with my sister, I put on a gray Old Navy long sleeved clingy tee. And as soon as I did, my sister (family will tell you the truth whether you want it or not!) said "That shirt does nothing for you."  It showed every bulge and bump and she was right.  A long line bra or cami would have been the right underwear to avoid that horrible look.  As you're out and about, look at what other women are wearing this hot summer season and see what I mean.
  • Shirt tags....I have offered to tuck in more tags at the back of the necks of women who I'm positive do NOT want the public to know what size they are wearing.  Just reach up and check before you leave the house to make sure the tag is flat and tucked in.  (I often cut mine off).
  • Skirt vents...the kick pleat in the back of dresses and skirts are usually sewed flat with a big thread X to keep the vents closed and prevent wrinkling or tearing before you buy them.  I am forever stopping women and telling them that their vent is still sewed closed and offering to help them open the vent to ease their walking.  One woman I stopped at a downtown tourist park had the vent to her cute denim jacket sewed closed still.  Once we opened it, she was amazed at how much better it felt to wear.  I have a beautiful red dress I had bought at Ross and wore twice before I noticed the vent was closed all this time - boy, did I feel dumb!
  • Shoe heels...like most of us, you slip on your shoes and go.  But looking at them from behind will show you how the heels of your shoes are wearing down or not.  For safety and fashion sake, check that out.
  
  • Pocket bulge, butt creases and zipper pulls...slacks and skirts must shrink overnight because you'll put on a favorite one and find that it doesn't fit like it used to.  Check out from behind how the pockets are.  Do they still lay flat like they're supposed to?  Does the skirt cup your butt or flow appropriately across your posterior?  Is your seam or zipper pulling so that one good sneeze will cause a major fabric explosion?  Is the crease in the back tucking into your butt crease?
            

  • And while you're at it, look at the back of your head!  You'd be surprised how many of us work really hard at fixing our hair, styling and fussing, only to ignore how the back looks.  Just a glance will show you what the people behind you are looking at.
Every woman needs a good full length mirror and a large enough handheld mirror (go to Big Lots or Dollar Store) so she can see herself before she heads out into the world.


As the wonderful actress Patty Duke said:  I have a picture of myself in my mind as I walk around every day, until I look in the mirror-and then I'm stunned.   I like to think her quote means that she is stunned by how lovely she really is!  And I hope you feel the same way about yourself every day. 

Until next week, I remain....

Stylistically yours,


Sooz


4 comments:

  1. My spin teacher always says, "If you want to make a lasting impression, remember: your backside is the last thing they see". Then he makes us to a drill that sets aforementioned backside afire.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The look from behind so important. Right again Sooz.
    T :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So true! Thanks for the reminders and mirror ideas, Sooz.

    ReplyDelete
  4. that settles it: i am going to steal my full-length mirror back from my husband (he uses it for a clothes rack) especially since he removed the one that was on the back of the bathroom door!! very important to see the whole picture before leaving the house... thanks for your brave show-and-tell - good advice, as usual...

    ReplyDelete