Sunday, April 14, 2013

Who wears short shorts?

When I was young and thin, I loved my short shorts, especially a pair of cut-off denims.  I wore those suckers ALL THE TIME.  But nowadays, as a "woman of a certain age," I have accepted the fact that those are not a good look for me and I never, ever want to appear on the "People of WalMart" site.

That doesn't mean I can't wear shorts, however.  There are several different lengths that suit. One really needs to find the length that looks the most flattering on you.

For example, there are Bermuda shorts which can hit a little long on your leg but with the right length can look lovely and keep you cool in the summer heat. You don't have to buy solids, either. You can wear polka dots, paisley, plaids, and a myriad of colors to make summertime a fun and fashionable look. And fortunately they are everywhere to be had...Chadwick's of Boston, Stein Mart, Talbot's, TJ Maxx, Marshalls, Kmart, Target, and GAP.  When you try them on, you'll want to make sure they don't bunch at the crotch - that means it isn't a good fit.  And be sure to walk around and sit down in a chair to check how they feel and look to you. 


Then there is the option of Walking shorts.    They are a little bit longer than Bermudas but also a cool option for summer. The only issue with Walking shorts is they can be looser than the above black pair and that can look a little sloppy, so try them on to check the fit and remember you need to wear crisp shirts and dressier shoes with them.

I know the "What Not To Wear" team often say not to wear capri pants. They say that capris cut the leg at a bad spot and Oprah says, just wear long pants and make sure they're lightweight. I don't pay any attention to either because it is hot here and I know that the right fit and length of capris can make you look like a stylista. In the early sixties, Mary Tyler Moore wore them as Laura Petrie, with little ballet flats and she looked amazing. I know that was a while ago but the look can still be adorable. The below black & white print pair are cute and comfy looking.

However, this blue pair looks terrible and sloppy. There is no good reason to buy and wear the blue pair but it is a great example of how fit and length make a difference in how you look...and how you feel about yourself.

To pocket or not to pocket on your shorts or capris is up to you.  I LOVE pockets but to keep a flat front, I don't recommend pockets. And pockets on the backside, well, that's just more fabric and more attention to my rear than I want to add. It is your choice, as is all fashion.

As Coco Chanel said,   Fashion is not something that exists in dresses only. Fashion is in the sky, in the street, fashion has to do with ideas, the way we live, what is happening.

Fashion and style is everywhere, be a joyful part of it.  Until next week...

 Stylistically yours,


Sooz



2 comments:

  1. Love your pictures. They really help make the point. I'm not sure how to follow your blog. I know I can leave a comment, but can you tell me how to actually subscribe? Thanks, love!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another good one, Sooz! The photos really do make your points very clear. Love it. Great job!

    ReplyDelete