Sunday, May 11, 2014

Hats Off To You!

I've been outdoors a lot lately and noticed that some people wear hats. Unfortunately many still do not. So today, I'm going to "top" my blog with hat concepts that work for women "of a certain age."

First off, hats are something you really have to try on because how they fit is important. And how they look on you is critical.


Some hats are for special occasions....


Some are for athletic occasions...

Some are sun protection...

And some are just cool...

   

For my head and face shape, the rolled brim boater is the best hat for me....

   

And I also can wear a cloche...



But a baseball cap looks terrible on me. I look like a giant face coming atcha! So I don't wear one very often. I see other women wearing them but it just doesn't suit me. (However, I do love to wear my pith helmet doing yard work because I think I look a tad eccentric and it protects my head from getting pierced by branches)!



The hat options are huge.  You can wear canvas sailor hats, visors, top hats or knit caps.






What you need to ensure is that it suits you and what you are doing. Oh, and the weather!  You don't want a big brim on a windy day or straw on a rainy day.

You also don't want your hat to sit on top of your head - instead you want a good fit.

The latest trend is called a "Fascinator" and no one wears them as well as the British...

  
Of course, they are worn for special occasions such as weddings, Ascot and holidays.

I love seeing pictures of African-American women proudly wearing their "crowns"...


Craig Marberry wrote a really lovely book about this very topic in his book, "Crowns":
crowns-cover

Sadly, it is getting harder and harder to find great hats but, locally, you can still find them in Burlington Coat Factory, Stein Mart and, of course, online.

When you do decide to wear a hat, be sure to try it on, figure out what you're going to do with your hair (unless you're wearing a hat for medical reasons and don't have a full head of hair at the moment), and make sure that you're ready to be the center of attention.

Wearing hats is finally becoming more common but you still might attract attention in your head gear, like a celebrity.

  


One word of caution:  Please don't wear a tall hat to the movies, the theater or concerts. People behind you will appreciate it.

I didn't cover all the hats that are out there because there just isn't enough time (bowlers, derbys, wig hats, etc.).  I just want to encourage you to try wearing hats for various occasions and reasons.  You never know if you'll find a great "look" for yourself.

Here's a great quote about hat wearing by the master of "fascinators":


Until next week, I remain,

Stylistically yours,

Sooz




No comments:

Post a Comment