Sunday, April 20, 2014

Confessions of a Pale Face

I am very pale skinned and have always been. My legs are so light that they reflect light like a white fabric does.

So when I was a teenager, I tried to get a tan using the iodine/baby oil combination to stain my skin AND bake it in the Florida sun. Even that didn't work, except to make me need to go to a dermatologist now twice a year to scan for melanoma.

And I know I'm stating the obvious thought of all females here:  I hate wearing pantyhose with skirts, suits and dresses for dress-up occasions or for my temp jobs.  But my dilemma is what to do about white legs(with purple and blue veins). Since I don't like to wear pants often, I made the decision to use self tanner on my legs (and sometimes my arms) to make me look a little tanned.

Why should I want to look tanned?  I blame Coco Chanel for that. Before her, pale skinned women were the wealthy elite who never went in the sun, weren't outdoor laborers and they lounged and lived indoors. Then Coco Chanel rose from poverty and spent her time creating fashionable new clothes, wearing lots of pearls and being tanned (she also smoked like a chimney!). 

Suddenly being tanned meant living a luxurious life, lying on yachts or country clubs, traveling to the Isle of Capri or Cannes and being a strong independent woman. Being tanned means you have leisure time to rest and relax in the sun, which also translates into being healthy and young. And if you, like me, have excessive thighs, upper arms, etc., a tanned body looks thinner and less "fat" than paleness does.



So, I have found two inexpensive self tanners that I regularly buy from the drugstore:
*  Loreal's Sublime Bronze    Use a small amount on freshly scrubbed (exfoliated) and lightly moisturized legs. Spread it carefully, being careful around your knees, ankles and heels.  Be sure to use it on your feet and toes or they'll be whiter than your legs. Give it ten minutes to dry before dressing. (If you use this stuff daily, you'll have a reasonable simulated tan within three to four days and can stop for several days, re-applying every few days or so).

*  Sally Hansen's Airbrush Legs, which I use on top of the Loreal Sublime Bronze because I don't do the Loreal daily. This works immediately but again, be sure to spread it thinly and look at the back of your knees, your ankles and feet.  Rub it quickly and keep it light. And give it time to dry, too.


Just be sure to wash your hands immediately after spreading these on or you'll have VERY tanned palms.

You can certainly spend a lot of money on more expensive brands but I choose less expensive, even though I don't use it very often. There are self-tanners by a wide variety of makers. You can Google these products to get consumer feedback on how well they work or not.

Today there are very pale-skinned actresses who are bringing tanlessness back.  Anne Hathaway, Julianne Moore, and Cate Blanchett to pick a few. And it seems that young actresses are leading the pale trend (i.e., Emma Watson, Dakota Fanning, Michelle Dockery are all great examples).
                       
These women make milky white skin look gorgeous and stylish, so there's hope for younger, pale skinned women. This lack of tan means no age spots when they get older.

Be careful using any fake tanning lotions, gels, cremes or spray on tans because you could end up looking like an "oompa loompa" (those little orange creatures in the Willy Wonka movie).


This is a subject that is subjective and you need to do what you are most comfortable with. Either way, please be cautious when you are outdoors by protecting your skin, your scalp and hair, and your eyes.

And be kind to yourself by keeping this in mind:


So until next week, I remain,

Stylistically yours,

Sooz

No comments:

Post a Comment