Sunday, August 11, 2013

On the road again. Just can't wait to get on the road again!

Last weekend I went on a road trip with my sister. Being summer time, I wanted to dress comfortably for the almost ten hour car ride up and back, in addition to walking around in the hot, steamy South.

Since I'm too old for tube tops and cut offs (I can't even imagine dressing that way anymore!), I looked at my wardrobe for appropriate hot weather, car riding, in-and-out bathroom breaking attire. Some pieces worked well, some...not so much.

Here's what I came up with:
I wore a white cotton long sleeved shirt with boyfriend jeans and my grey Skechers GoWalks.  I rolled up the sleeves to keep cool but had the option of rolling down the sleeves when the sun was on my side of the car and beating down on me.  That worked out well until we got stuck on I-95 as a parking lot - we turned off the a/c to not stress the engine and proceeded to crawl ten miles in one hour. Needless to say, I was melted. But not sunburned. And I discovered that my waterproof eyeliner is NOT sweat proof - I looked like Alice Cooper.
        


The next day we went to breakfast, toured some family sites, stopped for dinner on the way back to our host's house and we stayed in our clothes the whole day. I stupidly wore a beautiful bright orange top that I learned didn't breath well, and my boyfriend jeans again. Walking around a hot Southern cemetery in a polyester blend top was flat out dumb. And soooo hot!


For our departure home, I just could not wear those jeans anymore - I had already sweat a ton in them. So I wore a little black sleeveless dress and my new Anne Klein black and tan ballet flats. I kept a lightweight sweater on hand to cover my arms and/or legs if the sun was pouring in on me. That actually was comfy and cool.


What I discovered is that I must keep in mind the blend of my clothes (no polyester blends, ever again), options for pants that are lighter weight than denim and no eyeliner on hot trips. 

How about you?  Do you find it daunting to imagine what you will want to wear when you take a trip? Is packing lightly but efficiently stressful for you?  Does trying to decide what to pack something you do well? And how in the heck do you do that?

Traveling is fun but as Dorothy states in "The Wizard of Oz," "There's no place like home."

Here's a travel quote that made me laugh...I hope you do, too.
"A tourist is a fellow who drives thousands of miles so he can be photographed standing in front of his car."
- Emile Ganest

Until next week, I remain...

Stylistically yours,

Sooz



No comments:

Post a Comment